This email serves as a newsletter about events in choir! This first email is rather long with many attachments because it is the start of the year. Please let me know if you want me to change email addresses or add an email address for your family.
We've had a great first week so far! For the first time in many years ONHS has four choirs! With so much talent and energy, this year is going to be a blast. Thank you for supporting your students in the arts! As always, please communicate with me if you have any questions.
All back-to-school info for choir can be located here. Be sure to read the handbook, especially if your student is new to ONHS Choirs.
Music Parents Meeting: Join us on Thursday, September 14th from 6:30-7:30 in the North Choir Room (room 126). This is an optional parent meeting run by our booster organization, the ONHS Music Parents Association (MPA). Come learn about our travel opportunities, fundraising calendars, and volunteer opportunities for the year! We are looking for new leadership in this group so if you are the parent or guardian of a young student in choir please consider helping out.
Website: www.OshkoshNorthChoirs.com is a great source of information for all things ONHS Choirs!
Parent Information: please fill out these two documents
Calendar: Please see the attached calendar or add our google calendar (press the +Google Calendar sign in the bottom).
Sign up for Remind.com updates.
- Spartan Choir: text @onspartan to the number 81010
- Chorale: text @onchorale to the number 81010
- A Cappella: text @onacap to the number 81010
- Treble Choir: text @onhstreble to the number 81010
Sign up for Canvas for updates on your student’s grade in choir.
Friday, September 8th we will sing the National Anthem at the ONHS Varsity Football game at Titan Stadium. This is an optional performance for any student in choir. If your student wants to sing, they should meet me at the south end of the stadium at 6:40pm on Friday night. Theme is "USA" so students can dress in red/white/blue or Spartan gear.
Real Men Sing
On Friday, September 22 all the male singers Spartan Choir and some members of Chorale have the opportunity to go on a field trip to UW-Milwaukee to sing with hundreds of other high school singers. Permission slips are due September 19th.
Our Madrigal Singers Auditions will take place next week. Students sign up with a partner for a 10 minute audition. Returning members do need to re-audition. Please see me with any questions!
Madrigals Singers Information:
- Madrigal Singers is an auditioned, extra-curricular music activity offered by our music department.
- Students in this ensemble explore the vocal beauty of the Renaissance era.
- Rehearsals are Tuesday & Thursday mornings before school, some Wednesdays after school
- 4-5 days of community performances a week during December
- Returning Madrigal Singers audition every year
What makes a Madrigal Singer GREAT?
- High level of musicianship (making him/her able to learn approximately 25-30 difficult vocal and bell parts on their own)
- One of the most important skills is their ability to have excellent sight-reading skills to learn the music and bell parts quickly
- Being a responsible student able to aptly handle a busy rehearsal and performance schedule (with classes, work, family, etc.)
- Expressive and energetic performances
- That they are positive role models as ambassadors for Oshkosh North
Students can sign up to attend the Minneapolis trip! ONHS Choirs and Bands will be going April 6-7, 2018. Included are two hotel nights/bus ride/most meals and the cost will be approximately $425-475. Trip Commitment Forms and the $100 deposit is due Friday, September 15th.
Payment Plan (checks made out to Oshkosh North)
- $100 Deposit (September 15)
- $100 Payment #1 (November 15)
- $100 Payment #2 (January 15)
- $100-175 Final Payment (March 1)
- Something Rotten
- Cloud Cult with the Minnesota Symphony
- Mall of America
- Minneapolis Institute of the Arts
- Gangster Tour & Historic Cave Tour
- Sharpened pencils