Welcome to the 2016-2017 year of Oshkosh North Choirs! This email newsletter will serve as your source of info about the school year in choir. Please let me know if you want me to change email addresses or add an email address for your family.
We've had a great first week so far! We have over 145 students in choir this year which is double what it was 5 years ago. With so much talent and energy this year is going to be a blast. Thank you for supporting your students in the arts!
All back-to-school info for choir can be located here. Be sure to read the handbook, especially if your student is new to ONHS Choirs.
Music Parents Meeting: Join us on Thursday, September 15th from 6:30-7:30 in the North Choir Room (room 126). This is an optional parent meeting run by our booster organization, the ONHS Music Parents Association (MPA). Come learn about our travel opportunities, fundraising calendars, and volunteer opportunities for the year! We are looking for new leadership in this group so if you are the parent or guardian of a young student in choir please consider helping out.
Website: www.OshkoshNorthChoirs.com is our recently renovated website and is a great source of information for all things ONHS Choirs!
National Anthem: Friday night (9-9-16) before the football game at Titan Stadium students can sing the National Anthem. Meet at the south end of the stadium by 4:40pm (we will sing at 4:50pm). This is an optional performance.
Parent Information: please fill out these two documents
Calendar: Please see the attached calendar or add our google calendar (press the +Google Calendar sign in the bottom).
New Orleans Payment
Students who signed up in the spring to attend need to bring in their $300 payment by Thursday, September 8th (checks made out to Oshkosh North). At this point our trip is full but if anyone drops out of the trip we will have a list of alternates.
Real Men Sing
On Friday, September 23 all the male singers in Chorale and Spartan Choir have the opportunity to go on a field trip to UW-Milwaukee to sing with hundreds of other high school singers. Permission slips are due September 19th.
Our Madrigal Singers Auditions will finish tomorrow. Students sign up with a partner for a 10 minute audition. Returning members do need to re-audition. Please see me with any questions!
Madrigals Singers Information:
- Madrigal Singers is an auditioned, extra-curricular music activity offered by our music department.
- Students in this ensemble explore the vocal beauty of the Renaissance era.
- Rehearsals are Tuesday & Thursday mornings before school, some Wednesdays after school
- 4-5 days of community performances a week during December
- Returning Madrigal Singers audition every year
What makes a Madrigal Singer GREAT?
- High level of musicianship (making him/her able to learn approximately 25-30 difficult vocal and bell parts on their own)
- One of the most important skills is their ability to have excellent sight-reading skills to learn the music and bell parts quickly
- Being a responsible student able to aptly handle a busy rehearsal and performance schedule (with classes, work, family, etc.)
- Expressive and energetic performances
- That they are positive role models as ambassadors for Oshkosh North